Body Region: Abdomen and Pelvis
Author: Mariangela Santoni, Maria Ciolina, Andrea Laghi, Rome, Italy
1. Patient presentation
- A 50-year-old man presented to the emergency room after experiencing abdominal pain and vomiting for 5 hours.
- On questioning, he said he had constipation but had never had surgery.
- Clinical examination revealed distention, constipation and severe abdominal tenderness.
- An AP supine radiograph showed large bowel dilatation.
- Contrast-enhanced CT was performed to investigate further.