Body Region: Abdomen and Pelvis
Author: Michele Anzidei
1. Patient presentation
- A 46-year-old man presented to the emergency department after having experienced abdominal pain and fever for 3 weeks.
- His medical history included a stenting procedure to treat an unspecified benign stenosis of the right ureter 2 months earlier.
- The patient had been under treatment for several years with beta-blockers for cardiac arrhythmia.
- Abdominal ultrasonography demonstrated a retroperitoneal mass adjacent to the aorta and multiple enlarged vessels in the left and right retroperitoneal spaces.
- Contrast-enhanced MDCT of the abdomen and pelvis was performed to characterize the mass.